Hi

We have a similar problem with IBM JDK 1.3.0 (JIT enabled).
I suggest to debug the garbage collector (gc) by turning on the -verbosegc
command option. The garbage collecting activity will be written to stderr.

In our case I suspect that it is JVM problem because the output shows that
90% heap is free, but still the OutOfMemoryException occurs sometimes. The
exception occurs when the servlet application tries to allocate big amount
of memory (5Mb). Even if we set the -Xmx128m and -Xms128m the error occurs,
although the output shows that there is 90% (115Mb) free space in heap.

I suspect that the OutOfMemoryError occurs because the heap gets too
fragmented, therefore the gc can't allocate big sequential memory area. This
makes me believe that the heap defragmentation process takes place very
seldom. If big amount of memory is needed then it is allocated from the end
of the heap, but if the heap size grows close to the maximum, then the
exception occurs. Does anybody know if there is a way to force the
defragmentation to occur more frequently?

I have stress tested our application Sun JRE 1.2.2, and the OutOfMemoryError
never occurred.

With IBM JDK we minimized the occurrences of OutOfMemoryError by setting the
-Xms64m and -Xmx128m. In this case the garbage collector keeps the heap size
somewhere between min and max. Example from our log: 86% free
(92324744/107150328). But if we generate too much load then we still get the
OutOfMemoryError. But at the moment our application doesn't get so much
load, so the OutOfMemoryExcpetions are rare.

Would be very thankful if anybody could confirm/explain my suspicions,
Tõnu