I've concluded that there is no way to do this- how absurd!  I can get a
context to a uri in another application, but there is no way to dispatch to
it because the context won't tell me what its base path is!!

Isn't this a design oversight in the servlet 2.3 api?  In other words, why
shouldn't I be able to take in a uri, find its corresponding context, and
dispatch to it??

Basically this leaves no way to do server-side includes across applications
in servlet2.3, which from my understanding is the entire point of the
dispatch mechanism in the first place!  If I want a chain of servlets
processing my request, why shouldn't i be able to specify the servlet by its
server-root uri, instead of using two separate parameters (context base and
uri)?

Any comments?

Very frustrating.

The only way i can see to do this in tomcat is to override the
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext and ApplicationContextFascade to
make a public method getBasePath to return the same variable.  Does anyone
else agree that this should be part of the next servlet spec?

-Richard