Hi Dennis,

Perhaps, it's all to do with the working folder assigned to the program you run.

When you run "c:\Java\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1\bin\startup.bat" from the windows explorer,
the working directory becomes, "c:\Java\jakarta-tomcat-
4.0.1\bin\"

When you run the shortcut, the working directory becomes the desktop directory  ! I
dont have a win2K system right now, but this folder should be
either your "personal" folder, or your "profile" folder.

Solution. Go to the shortcut, and give "c:\Java\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1\bin\" as the
working folder.

Regards,

Sriram