Is there a reason why ${CATALINA_HOME}/classes and
${CATALINA_HOME}/lib is used for shared classes but the corresponding
directories for ${CATALINA_BASE} are not?

We are using ${CATALINA_BASE} to maintain a clean installation of
tomcat4 (which seems to be the point of ${CATALINA_BASE}), but the
problem above is biting us.

Am I missing something?

TIA,