Hi,
I have done configured virtual host with apache 1.3.22
and tomcat 4.0.1 , on windows 2000 with mod_jk module,
here are the steps, hope it helps

#***************************************************
1) Tomcat 4.0 :
- Be carefull to do not install TC4 in a path with
spaces " " !!!!!
otherwise you should use the 8.3 directory names to
configure TC
- In the server/lib subdirectory of TC4 add the
ajp.jar and the
tomcat-util.jar
- in the conf subdirectory copy the workers.properties
from a TC 3.2. Edit
it and fill the lines :

workers.tomcat_home=C:\Programs\Tomcat4.0
workers.java_home=C:\Programs\jdk1.3.1

with your own configuration.
- Edit the server.xml and add the AJP connector like
this :

<!-- Connector for AJP 1.3 -->
    <Connector
className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector"
               port="8009" minProcessors="5"
maxProcessors="75"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0"
connectionTimeout="0" />

Now the tomcat server is ready

2) Apache
- firstly copy the mod_jk.dll from the TC3 distrib in
the apache modules
subdirectory
- Configure Apache
Contrary to TC3, TC4 do not generate the Apache
configuration. So you should
do it yourself.

At the end of your httpd.conf file you should add (and
adapt)

# TC 4.0 settings

#
# The following line instructs Apache to load the jk
module
#
LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.dll

JkWorkersFile
"C:/Programs/Tomcat4.0/conf/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "C:/Programs/Tomcat4.0/logs/mod_jk.log"

#
# Log level to be used by mod_jk
#
JkLogLevel error

#
# Root context mounts for Tomcat
#
JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
JkMount /servlet/* ajp13

Then for each Context you had created in tomcat you
should had a paragraph
like this (it's the same thong as in TC3):
Here my context is /pfe
and the directory of the web-app is
C:/Work/Dev/pfe/stock/gui/dist/pfe-gui

#
# The following line makes apache aware of the
location of the /pfe context
# Alias /pfe "C:/Work/Dev/pfe/stock/gui/dist/pfe-gui"
<Directory "C:/Work/Dev/pfe/stock/gui/dist/pfe-gui">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

#
# The following line mounts all JSP files and the
/servlet/ uri to tomcat #
JkMount /pfe/servlet/* ajp13 JkMount /pfe/*.jsp ajp13
JkMount /pfe/*.do
ajp13

#
# The following line prohibits users from directly
accessing WEB-INF #
<Location "/pfe/WEB-INF/">
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
</Location>
#
# Use Directory too. On Windows, Location doesn't work
unless case matches #
<Directory
"C:/Work/Dev/pfe/stock/gui/dist/pfe-gui/WEB-INF/">
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
</Directory>

#
# The following line prohibits users from directly
accessing META-INF #
<Location "/pfe/META-INF/">
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
</Location>
#
# Use Directory too. On Windows, Location doesn't work
unless case matches #
<Directory
"C:/Work/Dev/pfe/stock/gui/dist/pfe-gui/META-INF/">
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
</Directory>

You can also do the same type of things to deploy the
web-app directly as
the root of apache.

Ashish