Yes, of course a serious typo! it was of course 4.0.2-b2!
I could have used 4.0.1 but decided it made sense to look ahead while i could.
We may conclude then that something, unknown, didnt gel between jdk 1.3.1 and
Tomcat and we will never know. I
However i remain very curious as  i know of happily working configuration
with just 1.3.1 that worked and continue to work just fine!! And judging by
the reports this failure has been see on more than one version of unix too.

Ah, i see that nobody has risen to my comment on JSP. Seriously i would like
to avoid initiating JSP not because i would prefer to work under the runtime
(but of course i would) but because GENUINELY i won't use it.
If anybody, with an open mind that is, would like to look at the competing
templating technology (see for example:  webmacro.org. )
It makes a true separation of the art of web design and the server side java
developer: who no longer need to be one subserviated to the other, nor a need
to use up valuable development time by needing to sit down together anything
like as much!

Regards,

Dave.