                                       html
                                       jsp
                                       servlet
                                       web-inf
                            yourProject
                                       html  (put your HTML stuff here)
                                       jsp    (put your JSP stuff  here)
                                       servlet (put your servlets stuff
 here unless you put a web.xml file in your web-inf directory to map them
 elsewhere (such as your classpath) )
                                       web-inf
                                                 classes  (Everything under
 here should be your source tree uncompressed)
                                                          com
                                                                company

 mainLogic
 something.class

 JSPs autoreload.  There is a flag for servlets where you can set
 reloadable = true.  In theory, it makes your servlets in your classes
 directory reload each time the file is changed.  I've not tested that yet.
 I'm quite new here too.  The info below might help you as well.

  Standard Directory Layout
        To facilitate creation of a Web Application Archive file in the
        required format, it is convenient to arrange the "executable" files
        of your web application (that is, the files that Tomcat actually
        uses when executing your app) in the same organization as required
        by the WAR format itself. To do this, you will end up with the
        following contents in your application's "document root" directory:
              *.html, *.jsp, etc. - The HTML and JSP pages, along with
              other files that must be visible to the client browser (such
              as JavaScript, stylesheet files, and images) for your
              application. In larger applications you may choose to divide
              these files into a subdirectory hierarchy, but for smaller
              apps, it is generally much simpler to maintain only a single
              directory for these files.

              /WEB-INF/web.xml - The Web Application Deployment Descriptor
              for your application. This is an XML file describing the
              servlets and other components that make up your application,
              along with any initialization parameters and
              container-managed security constraints that you want the
              server to enforce for you. This file is discussed in more
              detail in the following subsection.

              /WEB-INF/classes/ - This directory contains any Java class
              files (and associated resources) required for your
              application, including both servlet and non-servlet classes,
              that are not combined into JAR files. If your classes are
              organized into Java packages, you must reflect this in the
              directory hierarchy under /WEB-INF/classes/. For example, a
              Java class named com.mycompany.mypackage.MyServlet would need
              to be stored in a file named
              /WEB-INF/classes/com/mycompany/mypackage/MyServlet.class.

              /WEB-INF/lib/ - This directory contains JAR files that
              contain Java class files (and associated resources) required
              for your application, such as third party class libraries or
              JDBC drivers.

        When you install an application into Tomcat (or any other
        2.2/2.3-compatible server), the classes in the WEB-INF/classes/
        directory, as well as all classes in JAR files found in the
        WEB-INF/lib/ directory, are made visible to other classes within
        your particular web application. Thus, if you include all of the
        required library classes in one of these places (be sure to check
        licenses for redistribution rights for any third party libraries
        you utilize), you will simplify the installation of your web
        application -- no adjustment to the system class path (or
        installation of global library files in your server) will be
        necessary.

        Much of this information was extracted from Chapter 9 of the
        Servlet API Specification, version 2.3, which you should consult
        for more details.

______________________________
Joseph Chandler
Software Engineer
Franke Holding USA
305 Tech Park Drive
La Vergne, TN  37086
USA
Switchboard: +1-615-287-8243
Fax: +1-615-287-8343
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.franke.com

                      "Gary

                      Weinfurther"             To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      <gary@keysoftinc         cc:

                      .com>                    Subject: Frustrated

                      02/18/2002 01:44

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Tomcat Users

                      List"

I'm trying to install Tomcat 4.0.1 with IIS 5.0.  I have been in the
computer biz for decades, but I have never come across a piece of software
so complicated and frustrating as Tomcat.

I have the example apps working, and I've been able to get the manager app
working, but I am at a complete loss as to how to get one of my own apps
working.  I've tried installing my app under ROOT, under webapp, and I've
tried installing it using the manager app.  None of these seems to work.

I'm trying to install the ora application from the O'Reilly book "Java
Server Pages".  I can install it using the manager app, but it refuses to
start.  It will show up when I issue the list command, but it is not
running.  When I issue the start command, I get:

FAIL - Application at context path /ora could not be started
FAIL - Encountered exception java.lang.IllegalStateException:
standardHost.start /ora: LifecycleException:  Container

1. Where should I be putting this application?
2. How can I start it?

---

...Gary
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]