I had the same problems using tomcat 4.0.2, and apache
1.3.22 on win2k.  In fact tomcat couldn't find any of
my classes.  This only occurred using mod_jk, but
eventually i got it to work.  It is strange, but
here's how i got mine to work.  If you are using
mod_jk, try commenting out the line regarding
additional classpaths in your workers.properties file.
 Restart tomcat and apache.  It still won't work at
this point.  Then uncomment the line and restart both
tomcat and apache.  I think by commenting out the line
and restarting apache and tomcat, it forces them to
reload settings?  Not sure though.

Also make sure you have the directive JKMount
/servlet/* ajp13
in httpd.conf file.

james