Sorry, this is not an answer, just a word to say i face the same problem.

With TomCat 3.3, all where ok.
Installed 4 this morning, And when referencing a bean from a jsp, i get:

An error occured between lines: 72 and 83 in the jsp file: /wapstate.jsp

Generated servlet error:
D:\TomCat4\work\localhost\offsyncwap\wapstate$jsp.java:152: Class
org.apache.jsp.WPKDoc not found.
                 WPKDoc myDoc = (WPKDoc)session.getAttribute("myDoc");
                 ^

It does not find WPKDoc class (which is in the WEB-INF/classes directory)
You may note I don't use the <jsp:useBean> syntax, but i tested it: it gives
the same problem since it produces a .java file in the work directory with
the same rpoblem...

Cordialement,

Nicolas Silber*zahn
Digital Airways
Everywhere <Internet>Technologies</Internet>
<100% Java, Mobile, Offline aware>Wapaka Browser</100% Java, Mobile, Offline
aware>
www.DigitalAirways.com

 Hey! Want to see the Header your WAP phone/Gateway sends to the server?
Give your email at this WAP URL and you will receive it...

    http://www.DigitalAirways.com/waphead/default.asp