It's not clear what you want to know. Perhaps you should take another look
at the documentation.

You can authenticate people against a database, the XML file is just a
simple example.

>From a servlet you can find out what username they logged in as and which
realms they have access too.

What exactly do you need to change from a servlet?
Hamish

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:24 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Sense of realm element in login-config

Hi,

I do understand that it is shown the browser, but that is about all. But my
problem is that from within the servlet container I cannot do anything with
it.
For example, I cannot retrieve it and pass it on to the authentication
module, for example JDBCRealm. Yes, you can but then you have to manipulate
the web.xml file yourself? Is this really the case?

Regards,

--  Dirk

the system manager.