On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:15:11 +0100
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: Sense of realm element in login-config
>

> This is what I want to do:
>
> 1) I want to setup a database which includes multiple realms
> 2) user are linked to realms
> 3) I want to use protect a servlet with basic authentication, and I want to
> be able refer to the correct realm when performing the authentication (this
> means
>      sending the correct realm/user to the database. And I don't want to do
> this by hacking the tomcat configuration files.

For Tomcat 4, you should create a <Context> element (in server.xml) for
each webapp, and put a different <Realm> element inside it for each app
that has different sets of users.  For example, you could set things up
with different user tables (or set up views in your database that expose
the subset of users for that particular webapp).

> Regards,
>
> --  Dirk

Craig