I'm still very new at this, so I would welcome more
detail in the explanation :)

First let me make clear what things I do have some
understanding of, to give perspective.

I have created a system on Tomcat4 (on port 8443,
although I'd prefer port 443) that has a login page.
That login page hits a database to authenticate the
login, and if successful, it allows the user to move
around the site.  For example,
https://mydomain.com:8443/mysite/Login.jsp is the
start.  Currently the pages aren't tailored to the
user that logs in, but that's something I can handle
when I get around to it.

What I'd rather have is this:
https://joe.mydomain.com
There I would show a dynamically-generated page,
tailored somewhat to how Joe wants it (via some
template system using my database, which I can
handle).  Then on Joe's page I would have a login form
somewhere, which would allow Joe more access to his
personal pages (all of which would be
dynamically-generated as well.)

I don't know much about a lot of this, including DNS,
apache configuration, etc.  I'd be glad to learn, just
point me to the information.  I've read the apache doc
on large-scale virtual name-based hosting, but it
depended on a physical directory for each virtual (and
I think it requires me to have a DNS of my own?)

Thanks again for any information.

Michael