Nancy,

1) To run in headless mode, you do need to modify tomcat.sh, as this is what
starts the Java Virtual Machine that Tomcat runs under.  I can't tell you
exactly what to modify as I'm only familiar with Tomcat 4, but if its
anything like the v4 script, you should see a number of other -D options
being added to the java command.  Put the headless bit in in the same way.

2) If you run in headless mode, you can forget all about X Windows, VFB etc,
which is a good thing in my opinion!

Andy