For a quick n dirty way to get this working, you can use VNC as your
'Virtual Display' instead of Xvfb which likely requires the rest of X
Windows to function.

Obtain VNC from the vnc site - http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
run vncserver - it's probably a good idea to use the '-depth 16' flag or
you will get the default 8-bit framebuffer, and then set your DISPLAY
variable to be your VNC framebuffer.

i.e.

if VNCServer tells you your display is computer:0

then you need to do: 'export DISPLAY=:0', or 'setenv DISPLAY :0',
depending on your shell.

You can even use the VNC/X server of a different machine to render the
graphics e.g. export 'DISPLAY=remotepc:0', but obviously this will be
slower as all graphics calls get sent across the network.

I personlly use Xvfb for my Tomcat-based dynamic GIFs, but VNC works
fine as well.

Hope that helps

-Pete