I would like to set up my realm to allow folks in by userid not by
rolename.

I do not know what the tag for the web.xml file should be The following
is a sample security constraint.
The role names are working fine, but I need to say if a user is tony or
user is x then allow them in, but without the use of
roles.

<security-constraint>
      <display-name>Example Security Constraint</display-name>
      <web-resource-collection>
         <web-resource-name>Protected Area</web-resource-name>
     <!-- Define the context-relative URL(s) to be protected -->
         <url-pattern>/jsp/security/protected/*</url-pattern>
     <!-- If you list http methods, only those methods are protected -->

     <http-method>DELETE</http-method>
         <http-method>GET</http-method>
         <http-method>POST</http-method>
     <http-method>PUT</http-method>
      </web-resource-collection>
      <auth-constraint>
         <!-- Anyone with one of the listed roles may access this area
-->
        <!-- the following does not work because tony is a userid not a
rolename -->
        <!-- what tag should I use to get this to work so userid tony
can access the application space?  -->
         <role-name>tony</role-name>
         <role-name>marketing</role-name>
         <role-name>role1</role-name>