Sorry if this is off topic but I know there are OSX, Tomcat users here who
may be able to shed some light on my problem.

The problem has to do with ASCII characters >128 for locale character
support such as tilde, circumflex, etc. while running Tomcat (4.0.3) on
MacOS 10.1.3 w/ java version 1.3.1

I have set my JAVA_OPTS env variable to file.encoding=8859_1 but am still
having problems with ResultSet values which continue to be  MacRoman
decoding of 8859_1 chars.

I am accessing a MSSQL running on Windows 2000 via a JDirect Type 4 driver.
Some of the data has Portuguese and Spanish characters and when I output a
ResultSet returned by Tomcat running on the Windows machine everything looks
correct.  When I output the same ResultSet from Tomcat running on the
Macintosh accessing the same database on the Windows machine, I get the
characters MacRoman encoded whether or not I have run the startup.sh from a
terminal with JAVA_OPTS=file.encoding=8859_1.  Actually there is NO
difference which seems to indicate that either file.properties is not the
correct system env variable or I am not using JAVA_OPTS correctly?

So I'm fishing for any ideas of how to fix this problem.  If you have any
suggestions please mail me off list as well as I am on the digest.

Thanks for the help.

Steven

//*
* VTV Learning Corporation
*        Los Angeles  -  Boston  -  Lisbon
*           (http://www.vtvLearning.com/)
*/