thanx james...

Client side redirect is not good enough... for what I was thinking.

I am not really understanding your comment on how to do it internally.
If I understand it correctly I might want to write a Connector that does
the URLrewriting for me, (something like mod_webapp or
coyote+urlrewrite).

or is it easyer (and more portable onto other servers) to write a filter
that uses requestDispatcher.redirect("new/path")? (sorry I don't know
the filters api very well)

hmm I also noticed a function within Defaultservlet ds.rewrite(path)...
is it possible somehow to work with this ?

thanx again..
-r