I searched the tomcat-user archive and couldn't find anything on the
design difference between coyote and httpconnector in 4.0.1-4.0.3 tomcat
releases.

If anyone can point in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Here is a little background on why I am looking for the information.
I've been doing some performance benchmarks comparing coyote and
httpconnector on 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 with JSTL. My test pages use a lot of
includes to dynamically build the header, footer and look of a page.

when I used include directive <%@ include file="" %> the performance for
4-16 concurrent connections causes dramatic increases in CPU
utilization. When I use action include as in <jsp:include page=""/> the
performance is better. Tomcat is running on a resource limited box,
600mhz w/256Mb ram.

Using include directive, the compiled class file gets close to the 64K
limit (around 61K). Using action include each compiled class file is
under 20K, most around 8K. Aside from the obvious "business logic should
be in beans," I am trying to figure out ways to improve the performance
and get a better understanding of why CPU utilization shoots through the
roof.

Using the latest coyote beta with 4.0.3 seems to perform 2-4 times
better than httpconnector, depending on the page. I've also done
benchmarks with very simple pages that print out http header/request
parameters and coyote seems to be twice as fast. For complex pages that
have a lot of includes that call includes, the performance gains are
bigger.

Obviously using JSTL is more process intense than putting java code in
the jsp pages, but part of the goal of this experiment is to see how
much of performance hit JSTL incurs. One of the goals of this test is to
hide java code, so that designers and html coders don't see java code.
It may be that some of the repetative logic should be made into custom
tags, but before I do that, I want to get a deeper understanding of
coyote architecture.

thanks.

peter lin