On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Jakarta Tomcat Newsgroup wrote:

> Subject: Re: Mapping *.abc requests to Tomcat
> From: "Hyunjin Kim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  ===
> when stopping:
> 1. stop apache
> 2. stop tomcat
>
> when starting
> 1. start tomcat
> 2. start apache (someone says 10 seconds delay between starting of tomcat
> and apache is needed..)

You probably want to have tomcat 'ready' before starting apache -
otherwise users may send requests and get error messages ( since tomcat
is down ).

If you have most of the information static, and only few services
on tomcat, you'll probably want to start apache first - so the downtime
is minimal.

The tricky part is keeping all the things running all the time- even when
you change the system, and for that you'll have to use loadbalancing and
all kind of tricks. Hopefully this will become easier in next jk.

Costin