Pretty normal, yes.  You can affect that number using command line
directives:

$ java -Xms64m -Xmx128m blah

where -Xms specifies the intial heap size, and -Xmx specifies the max.
You would have to alter the startup script to make this effective.
Typically you only want to use -Xms if you *know* you will exceed the
default initial heap size (no clue what that is, arch dependent); and
you only really use -Xmx if you want to impose a more arbitrary upper
limit (i.e. "please do not use up all resources on my server before
crashing and burning....").

jeff

--
Jeffrey Bonevich