bort wrote:

If System.runFinalization() and System.gc() are misleading... what should I
use instead, to force to garbage collection?

So, the amount of memory the JVM uses, will always increase?  How do I get
it to decrease?

You can't get it to decrease, but if you have the memory large enough so that it doesn't have to request any more from the system, it won't continue to grow.
If it is growing without bounds you probably have a memory leak.

JDK1.5.0beta seems to have an improved garbage collection tuning built in, and that may be of some help, but if you have a leak then all you can do it find it.

 You may want to learn more about garbage collection.
You could use these references:
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc1.4.2/faq.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp11253/
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc1.4.2/

256 was an arbitrary choice.  Is there some formula I should be using (based
on projected traffic)?

The links above, esp the third one, should help you to determine what is a good size.

--
"Love is mutual self-giving that ends in self-recovery." Fulton Sheen
James Black    [EMAIL PROTECTED]