I haven't tried this, but I think it may work. I have a document I will be
releasing today that explains some of this:

a) Apache 'ignores' all Directory directives when a WebAppDeploy statement
takes over the root.
b) Apache doesn't ignore Location directives.
c) SetHandler's in the Location directives work fine.

My suggestion is to put a Location (or Location Match) directive on on the
root. Then put a Files directive (if you only want to match files) to match
.shtml files.

THEN do a SetHandler to 'server-parsed'.

What I am not 100% sure of at this point, since I haven't had an opportunity
to try, is what actual directory location it will attempt to find the files
at. Naturally I would presume it would be based off of the DocumentRoot, but
again, I am not 100% sure.

Let me know if that works, and when I have a moment I will attempt to try
since it will be helpful for the document I wrote up explaining how to
install Tomcat on Apache via WARP (it is 95% done at this point).

Joseph Molnar
http://www.codesta.com/