Thanks Rick,

Some of my business code has to run before authentication takes place (the
details are very specific to my application).

Right now the code works like this, all in one servlet:
1)pre-authentication code
2)if ok to proceed
3)   authentication code
4)   post-authentication code (initialize the session)

I might be able to stitch together something like this:

1) request goes for the "initialize the session" page, which is protected.
2) the user is not authenticated, so the go to my login form, which
3) submits to my own URL, do the pre-processing
if ok to proceed
   forward to j_security_check
4) j_security_check authenticates, and forwards to the URL requested in step
1.
5) my page initializes the session.

This strikes me as _awfully_ hacky.  What I really want is to be able to
explicitly authenticate the user from within my servlet code...is there
really no way to do this?  It seems to me like something that lots of people
would want.  It would allow me to keep all of my login code organized in a
logical manner, rather than having to dance around the servlet container.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Drasin