Hello all-

I have a servlet based application running on Tomcat 3.2.  It uses a
homespun security system which I would like to replace with standard J2EE
security.  However, when the user logs in there are a number of server-side
tasks which have to be performed both before and after authentication takes
place, and which logically and functionally are all part of the login
process.

Therefore it is a problem for me that, as best I can tell from availible
documentation, all authentication is done through the magic URL
"/j_security_check" which is opaquely handled by the application server.

I have seen some suggestions on newsgroups that I should hack my way around
this by having my own servlet code forward to /j_security_check after doing
my own processing, but
1)this is not really what I want because some of the work I have to do
should not take place until after authentication, and
2)that seems like a collosal hack that might have ramifications I don't know
about.

What I really want is a server-side method like authenticate(username,
password) which would be functionally the same as submitting to
/j_security_check.  Does any such thing exist, and where can I find out
about it?  If not, can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks in advance,

Ben Drasin