From: Paul Balanoiu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 4:35 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: User LogIn/LogOut

HTTP is a request-based protocol. This means that you cannot detect if the
user just closes the browser.
You can do one of the following:
1. Set the Session expiration time to a custom value (usualy is set to 30
min.) This value is the maximum precision you get for detecting user logout.
Don't set the value too low (if the user does not send any request for this
period of time, i.e. goes to have a cup of coffe, the session will be
invalidated and the user will have to login again).
2. (not recommended) Use an applet in the webpages, to keep the session
alive (i.e. the applet should send a HTTP request to the server per minute,
and the session timeout could be set to two minutes). This way you'll know
that if the session timed out, then the user simply closed the browser).

Paul