Phillip Morelock wrote:

>On the TC 3 documentation page there is an excellent "tomcat internals"
>document....but maybe you already saw that?  I myself am a big TC 3 user as
>well, most of my stuff still runs on that.
>
>fillup
>

>On 5/26/02 4:11 AM, "jfc100" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Phillip Morelock wrote:
>>
>>>I just quickly checked the site and there are also a couple of "tomcat
>>>internals" articles and the full javadoc for Tomcat 4 is already posted
>>>there as well.
>>>
>>>/f/
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>Have you built the Tomcat source javadoc tree?  Maybe you don't want to wade
>>>knee-deep in source...understandable, I guess.  But at least build yourself
>>>the javadoc from the sources and read that stuff.  Also see the high-level
>>>architecture image (or maybe pdf?) on the jakarta site.
>>>
>>>fillup

>>>--
>>>For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>

>>Thanks for that, Phillip.
>>
>>I have downloaded the src-dist for both 3 and 4 versions but have not
>>yet genned the javadoc - I'll do that when I've looked at the catalina
>>docs. I was hoping there may be docs prior to tc4 (we are currently on
>>3.3) but that is a big help nevertheless. I guess its likely I'll find
>>out soon the extent of the rewrite.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Joe
>>

>>--

yes I briefly looked at it but didn't on the initial parse find anything
on session management. From what I can gather, there is no
synchronization provided by tomcat when it comes to accessing sessions
or session contents. Maybe accessing sessions is a bit of a red herring
since we are talking about concurrent access within a single session.
Whichever data structure tc uses for storing the session objects (or
facades) would probably answer that one. Hastable is synced while
HashMap anf the others are not.

thanks for your input fillup!

joe