I have been on this list for about a month and have see this question many time
(myself included).
 I have finally figured out how you can get a class to reload (e.g. Included JavaBean)
without
having to stop/start tomcat using shutdown.sh and startup.sh.  First, follow the
directions in
"Manager App HOW-TO" included with the tomcat documentation.  Once this is done, you
can use the
manager app reload function to reload the web app.  This also refreshes any newly
compiled classes
(e.g. javabeans) that you may have included in the JSPs.  To use the reload, do the
following:

http://<IP Address>/manager/reload?path=<web app>

You can also use the manager to deploy new web apps, un-deploy web apps, start/stop
web apps.
This may be common sense to those tomcat veterans, but this was very helpful to me
once I learned
how to use it.

Adam

P.S.  If I have made any errors, please correct me.  Thanks.