su -c

see
man su

Oh, wait, I see that you know that already --

For me I had to symlink to tomcat.sh and init will automatically call it
with "start" and "stop" arguments:

tomcat.sh start
and on shutdown:
tomcat.sh stop

which is essentially what startup.sh and shutdown.sh do.

This worked for me on Linux, don't know Sun, sorry.

cheers
fillup