> Oh and you'll probably want to define:
>
> JAVA_HOME
> CATALINA_HOME
> (or TOMCAT_HOME as appropriate)
>
> directly inside of tomcat.sh or catalina.sh

Has anyone had problems with this? I'm experiencing startup problems. The script is
all setup *that* way and running it manually when the system is in Run Level 3 starts
it up, just fine. However, when system boots, Tomcat starts and keeps running for 5 to
10 seconds, then it just plain exits. Nothing in error logs (except "catalina
starting"), nothing on the console.

I will add that this is Tru64 UNIX 4.0D (Digital UNIX or DEC OSF/1) and I had problems
with the startup scripts, due to some shell quirkiness. That has been resolved by some
simple change in the scripts. Is it a problem for Catalina if it looses STDIN/STDOUT
while attempting to startup? Because, that is the only big difference in boot startup
and manual startup.

Nix.