An unintended shutdown of tomcat whithout a log message
typically indicates a problem in the VM or in a native library.

- Whick JDK are you using (Vendor and version).
- Did you try other JDK's (other version, other vendor)
- Do you use tomcat standalone or behind a web server
  - If behind a web server which one, and which
    connector in which version do you use ?
- Do you use any library that includes native libraries ?
  - e.g. JDBC Driver

<snip/>
> I am running Tomcat 4.0.2 on Windows NT 4.0, it is running a
> web based faxing application that users can attach a document
> to send to a server process that sends it as an attachment.
> This is done using servlets. Every so often, if a user
> uploads an attachment the server doesn't like, it shuts down
> Tomcat, other times it seems if the user tries to view a file
> on the server that doesn't exist, the Tomcat server shuts
> itself down. This is very annoying, and the customer is not
> impressed - is there is a way to simply throw an exception
> and continue running, instead of Tomcat shutting itself down?
> I can't really be more specific as there are no errors in the
> log files to correspond to these occurrences, all I know is
> that it happens and makes the app look WAY less stable than
> if it was built using ASP's and running under IIS......

<snip/>