I think then you have to serialize the write access to the database.

If it's possible to read from Access while somebody else (in this
case another Thread) is reading, I haven't tried.

I would think about decoupling the application, use one application with
'real database' to implement the interface to the user and use one
program
as backendto the fax database and implement a serial communication
between theses applications. (Depends a bit on the amount of users that
will
fax if there is just a very little chance that two users access the fax
concurrently, you can synchronize the access to the fax database through
an object that is known to all servlets).