Yoav, thanks for the reply. Sorry about our slow response but Antoine is out
fo the office.

To answer your question, the server just stops.  There are no indications of
an error in the logs and no indication of why the server stopped.  I'm not
sure if this is a timeout or some other problem since we've not seen any
indication of why or when it stops.  Its not some application thing we're
doing because it was doing this stop thing even before we put any of our
code on the box.  I kicked it off last night before I left (so no users) and
this morning it was down.

This is a development only box with nothing else on it other than Oracle 8i.

BTW this is Tomcat 8.0.3 running on Solaris 8.  Hardly any users other than
the occasional developer looking for a test environment on a Unix platform.

The only other thing I can think to do with this is to run a truss or
something on it.  If anyone has a better idea we would surely appreciate a
hand.

thanks

ken
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Tomcat 4.0 keeps shutting itself down

Howdy,
>Tomcat 4 works fine when the service is running, but will time out at
>random during the day or night when not in use.  If there is a timeout
>setting for this installation please let us know.

Does the server process just completely stop?  Is there anything
interesting in the tomcat logs up to the moment it stops, such as
out-of-memory errors?  Does this happen even on a test server when no
one uses it for the whole day?  Are there cron jobs or other system
tasks that could affect the tomcat process?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics