Cynthia,
I was experiencing that exception on the latest JDK from Sun (j2se
1.4.0_01) which I just downloaded yesterday. This is in Windows XP Pro;
the user that's executing Tomcat (at the moment) does not have
Administrator rights. My path is C:\Apache\jakarta\tomcat4.1.3-beta\ (no
spaces). Specifically, I saw this exception when tomcat tried expanding
a WAR file.

Liam Morley