I've only witnessed one occasion where someone else was able to do
something pretty cool with Access, but it was sufficient enough for
Access to earn a bit of respect from me.

I think many Tomcat users use MySQL and PostgresSQL due to the fact that
they've got an open-source (as well as free) solution. At least I do; I
can't afford Oracle, nor do I need it.

Will,
I use MySQL, and I'm happy with the MySQL Front free gui interface for
it, however I don't think it's /quite/ what you're looking for. You
don't design queries in MySQL (or in other apps I've seen) the same
hands-off way you can in Access. Be this a blessing or a curse, I
couldn't tell you. MySQL Front's website <http://www.mysqlfront.de> has
some screenshots, check them out and see if they're helpful at all.

Liam Morley