> Just to say thanks alot to all the people for their invaluable
> advice I am
> checking out all the different links. I will be most likely
> switching me
> database soon!!!

I did not catch the earlier part of this thread, but let me throw
in my favorite db:

FrontBase
http://www.FrontBase.com/

It is native software, but runs on many Unixes, MS Windows, and Mac
OS X, with a most excellent GUI admin tool for Mac OS X. It
includes an excellent free JDBC driver (the best I've seen
actually). FrontBase fully supports Unicode, and even uses Unicode
internally for storing data.

It is a commercial product, but has a free developer license, and a
free deployment license (with some restrictions such as no backup
feature).

FrontBase is a mature, complete SQL database without the glaring
holes in functionality that you'll find in hsqldb, Postgres, and
MySQL. FrontBase stands out in its commitment to following
standards, most especially the SQL92 standard. The makers of
FrontBase go so far as to consider Date's book "A Guide To The SQL
Standard" to be their documentation.

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/isppqxs3im/sm/0201964260

--Basil Bourque