If there is no error message in the logs, I guess
it's a deadlock in the database.

Can you provide more info about the jsp that hangs ?

Try a kill -QUIT <tomcat pid> and have a look at the
stacktrace to see where the threads are.

Have a look at the oracle console (can't remember the name
of the management console for oracle, it's too long ago
that I used it) to find out which connections and statements
are open.