Why don't you just handle it by putting something in their session
saying that they filled out the form correctly, and write a downloader
servlet that looks for that something, and will only send them the bits
if they've filed out the form? Writing a servlet to send a file is
pretty darned trivial. Writing one that knows something about session
state is also pretty darned trivial.

This would look something like: /downloads/send/filename

...where you have a downloads webapp with a send servlet that exhibits
the above characteristics. The filename could be gotten from the path
info as shown here, or you could just use a query string, too.

It sounds like the issue you're having is trying to get the built-in
file-serving servlet to do something it wasn't intended to do, rather
than writing some code to do it for you.

Hope this helps...

-Ian