Hi,

please inform us of what kind of work you are doing with tomcat, are you requesting
informations from databases for every request, are you using connection pooling, are
you using cache, are using jsp alot ?
There may be many places you can optimize performance in your application just as well
as increase tomcat performance.
One thing I did to increase performance with t.c.4.0.4 was to use the Jasper from
4.1.7. Because the threshhold of my application is in jsp-rendering time, and the tags
my jsp pages use, this increased performance about almost 100%.
Using IIS, if it's correctly configured should help alot, as it will deliver all
static documents, such as jpegs, gifs, html etc, and take the load of delivering this
away from tomcat, so tomcat will only need to handle the jsps and servlets.
If IIS is slowing down the whole thing, IIS is either wrongly installed, or the
connector. I've used AJP connectors along with the isapi_redirect.dll filter.
Remember also, system.out.println logging can slow everything down a bit, so try to do
the least of that....

but for starters, you should try using the jasper2 from tc.4.1.7, it really works well.

-reynir.