Hi

I am experiencing a problem with session tracking when using Apache 2.0.39's
mod_proxy module to connect to my Tomcat 4.0.3 instance.

I have a servlet which checks to see if a session exists, and if not,
creates a new session.

When testing on a standalone instance of Tomcat, all works as expected. I
start up a browser session to my site, and the servlet creates a new
session; this session persists for subsequent requests to my site.

However, when going via Apache to Tomcat over mod_proxy, my servlet is not
recognising that I have already set up a session on subsequent calls to
Tomcat, and is creating a new session each time.

The "Virtual Host" configuration in Apache's httpd.conf to set up the proxy
connection to Tomcat is as follows:

<Virtual Host *>
    ServerName    www.bodypainting.co.uk
    ProxyPass    / http://localhost:8000/bodypainting/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8000/bodypainting/
</VirtualHost>

The entry in my Tomcat server.xml for handling the proxy connection is as
follows:

    proxyName="localhost:8000" proxyPort="80"/>

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar, or if anyone
has any ideas.

Incidentally, I've already experimented with using mod_jk and mod_webapp to
connect Apache to Tomcat, but found that mod_proxy was by far the simplest
method, especially given that all content from my site will be served up by
Tomcat, and I don't need any static pages served up by Apache.

Kind regards
Rick Mills