Ok - a few basics.  You want, for each application, the same basic
"skeleton" - I'll use my-app as a generic application name

$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/my-app -- AKA - the "Root Directory" for this
application.  This is where your HTML, JSP files go -- as well as any
other direcories you want.
my-app/WEB-INF -- this directory is not accessible to people on the web,
but contains important config data about your app.
my-app/WEB-INF/classes -- any compiled classes you have - servlets, etc
go here.  Be sure you have your package structure reflected here.  By
that, I mean:

package com.myapp;

would require the following directories to exist:

my-app/WEB-INF/classes/com/myapp

... and any classes you have defined in that package would go in that
directory (the .class files)

If you have any jar files (third-party jars -- or even jars you've
made), you'll also want:

my-app/WEB-INF/lib -- place your jar files here (recommend creating the
directory even if you have none - I heard someone having problems when
it wasn't there)

Most of your application-centered configuration options can be placed in
a file name web.xml (the application deployment descriptor) located
under my-app/WEB-INF.  If you are not familiar with the format of this
file (it's structure is checked against a DTD, so it must match the spec
or ... you won't get the behavior you desire), there are many places you
can look.  Personally, I have a copy of Java Servlet Programming I keep
handy - as well as Java Server Pages -- both of which are O'Reilly
books.  They are quite good.  I recommend them to you.  You can find a
great deal of information on the format of the config files, as well as
a wealth of other information, by reading them.

For your current problem, I suggest you do the following:

In your web.xml file, place the following:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>
  <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
  </welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

Either consult the books I mentioned above for additional details, or
look on the web.  The Tomcat site has some good starter information on
it.  You might start there.

Good Luck,

Eddie