Hi,

I am using Tomcat 4.0. The problem I am having is that I can't get the root
context relative to my web site, as in the format www.domainname.com/, to
point to my own servlet AND still use the "default servlet" to handle file
extensions which my servlet does not cater for. I either have to add some
text to the URLs I use as in the format www.domainname.com/main/ or I have to
take over all the responsibilities of the default servlet myself.

The latter is obviously not what I would choose, but neither do I want
someone to have to type www.domainname.com/main/, and it seems to me the only
other option is to use welcome files. Unfortunately, this seems to require a
file such as index.html but I want the first contact with my web site to be
through my servlet so I can establish whether the user has cookies switched
on and so I can dynamically customise the first page made visible.

I have tried mappings such as the following in my web.xml, to no avail:

<servlet-name>mainservlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>*.html</url-pattern>

<servlet-name>mainservlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>*.htm</url-pattern>

Maybe I have missed some documentation somewhere, but I really would
appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance,
Mark