I guess I misread your comments a little bit.  The /main threw me off track.

Anyway, I think you can set up a filter to work on the entire site using
the /* filter-mapping.  You can choose what to process in there.  And then
your other mappings will still be valid and won't be taken over by a
servlet-maping set to /*.

I haven't tried this, but it should work, in theory.

Jake