In web.xml, variables can be defined like this,

  <context-param>
          <param-name>gui.bgcolor</param-name>
          <param-value>#ffff00</param-value>
  </context-param>

And then in your servlet or JSP,

  String guiBgColor = getServletContext().getInitParameter("gui.bgcolor");

But how can I assign a list or array of values to a variable
in web.xml ?  For example, I wish to configure the available
JNDI datasources available to a webapp, so that the end user
can select one. Is it something like this ?

  <context-param>
          <param-name>jndi.resources</param-name>
          <param-value>jdbc/users</param-value>
          <param-value>jdbc/accounts</param-value>
          <param-value>jdbc/finance</param-value>
  </context-param>

But then how would I extract values in my JSP or servlet ?

Soefara