On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Rutledge, Aaron wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:04:52 -0600
> From: "Rutledge, Aaron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "Tomcat Users List (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Multiple HttpServletRequest objects
>
> Is it possible to have more than one HttpServletRequest object per
> session?  I am trying to store a request from one form as a session
> object, process an intermediary form, and then pass the original request
> to a servlet.  I have a couple clunky ways of doing this (having the
> servlet write a hidden form from the request object and passing this
> along).  I tried to create a session object like...
>
> protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
> response)
>     throws ServletException, java.io.IOException {
>                 HttpSession session = request.getSession();
>                 session.setAttribute("form_data", request);
>
> ...and test the original value with...
>
> protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
> response)
>     throws ServletException, java.io.IOException {
>                 HttpSession session = request.getSession();
>                 HttpServletRequest old_form =
> (HttpServletRequest)session.getAttribute("form_data");
>                   String a_field = old_form.getParameter("textfield");
>
> to see if I get the original field value for the form field called
> "textfield", but I get a null value.  Does anyone have any clever ways
> of storing a request object and then submitting later in the session?

It is not legal to maintain a reference to a request after that request
has been completed.

My advice is to look at your problem completely differently -- plan on
pulling out of any request whatever you need to save, and save *that* data
as session attributes.  Trying to save the requests themselves will lead
you to design an application full of spaghetti code, because you'll try to
make everything look like a servlet that processes requests.

It would also be worth your time investigating how Model-View-Controller
(MVC) application frameworks like Struts
<http://jakarta.apache.org/struts> encourage you to architect web
applications.

> Best regards to all!
> Aaron