On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Erik Mattsson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:12:11 +0200
> From: Erik Mattsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: ANT and Tomcat4
>
> Hi
>
> Im putting together a build enviroment that builds the servlet.war,
> uploads it to the server. Now I wonder if there any packages that
> enables me to use the ant tasks in the new tomcat4.1 build ? Since I
> havent installed the tomcat4 on my computer, then I dont have the
> tomcat4.1 build.
>
> It would be nice to have a library that comes together with tomcat4.1 so
> developers just uses that library ( a subset of the entire tomcat4.1
> library). Does the Ant tasks work together with tomcat 4.0.X?

Tomcat 4.1 includes the file "server/lib/catalina-ant.jar" which contains
the code for the documented Ant tasks.  Just put this in your
$ANT_HOME/lib directory to enable them.

> BTW, I havent found any documentation about the ant tasks. How should I
> use them? Do I still have to upload .war file?

It's on the manager how-to page, since the tasks use Manager behind the
scenes.

  http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/manager-howto.html

> In my build script im having trouble getting the tomcat to deploy the
> new uploaded .war file. It seems that the tomcat only reads from the
> webapps/servlet/ directory before it unpacks the webapps/servlet.war
> file, so how can I remove that directory, so it must unpack the new war
> file?

You might want to look at the build.xml example file packaged with the
Application Developer's Guide in Tomcat 4.1.  It can be used with no
changes for most webapp development, as is pretty thoroughly documented.

  http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/appdev/index.html

One thing you will note is that there's no reason to copy the WAR (or
directory) into "webapps" if you are using the "install" task -- if you
are on the same machine Tomcat is running on, you just need to give it the
pathname of your WAR file or directory.  If you're on a different machine,
use the "deploy" task instead to upload the WAR to the remote server and
dynamically deploy it.