Hi,

I searched the archives for a solution to my problem, but couldn't find
any. Like many, I keep getting the following error:

SQLException: Cannot connect to MySQL server on localhost:3306. Is there
a MySQL server running on the machine/port you are trying to connect to?
(java.net.ConnectException)

There's no stacktrace like some other people posted, I don't know why
not.
I think I got my sourcecode ok. I tried three different approaches:

Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver");
Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver").newInstance();
Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().loadClass("org.gjt.mm.mys
ql.Driver");

I also got this other stuff in my error log when I start Tomcat, but I
don't know if that's part of my problem or just the result of me ruining
other files:

Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.4
PARSE error at line 1 column 10
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element type "web-app" must be declared.
Server 1.6 is running Press [Ctrl]+[C] to abort Starting service
Tomcat-Apache Apache Tomcat/4.0.4
SQLException: Cannot connect to MySQL server on localhost:3306. Is there
a MySQL server running on the machine/port you are trying to connect to?
(java.net.ConnectException)

I got:
Debian3.0/woody
Tomcat4.0.4
j2sdk1.3 (BlackDown FCS)
Mm.mysql-2.0.14
MySQL 3.23.49

JW
Shapers

p.s. I have the exact same servlet running fine on
WindowsXP/Tomcat4.0.3/j2sdk14/mm.mysql-2.0.12/MySQL3.23.49. But I need
Debian now.

p.s.2 I have a deju-vu at this moment. Weird :)