> yay!  do i get a medal or something?  ;-)

Yes you get a medal. Only thing is that it is so incredibly heavy that I
can't send it by mail. You have to come pick it up at our office in
Amsterdam :P
O and I gave my thanks to Hoang, but I was mistaken. Thanks Peter!

> > [off-topic]
> > Is that also the reason that php:mysql seems about twice as fast in
> > executing queries in comparison to jdbc:mysql? I tested this on my
> > Windows machine. [/off-topic]
>
> yes.  domain sockets leave out the whole tcp/ip stack and are
> much faster.

Why on earth they invented JDBC for then? I am really dissappointed by
the lack of performance compared to PHP. The processing of query results
in Java is even worse (about 10 times slower).

> use mysql;
> grant all privileges on db.object(s) to root@barrie
> identified by 'some_password' [with grant option];
> flush privileges;

You get TWO medals now.

> minor nit - i wouldn't use the root user for these
> connections.  if the password is somehow compromised, your
> *entire* server is compromised.  if, however, you set up
> different users for each database only that particular
> database will be compromised.

True. But at this stage it's not that important :)

JW