Thanks Glenn.  The following Java API link has a quick
blurb about the java.io.tmpdir system property:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/io/File.html#createTempFile(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, java.io.File)

The JDK sets the default value for this property to be
/tmp on Unix and c:\temp on Windows.  So, it does not
seem necessary to override the default value of
java.io.tmpdir when starting Tomcat.

My follow-up question then is, why is this done?  Is
it to be able to create a separate "namespace" for
temp files generated by the Tomcat JVM process versus
the other temp files on the file system?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie