Sorry, perhaps that was too harsh.

You don't need mod_proxy to put tomcat on a separate machine from apache.
mod_jk supports load-balancing (http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat for a HOWTO),
and if you just want tomcat on a separate machine without load-balancing,
you change the host parameter in mod_jk's worker.properties file to the
hostname of the tomcat server instead of "localhost" or whatever the default
is (see earlier posts today on this list on exactly this topic).

In addition, with mod_jk, you can set tomcat (provided tomcat is on the same
machine) to auto-generate the mod_jk configuration directives for apache.
That means that you only need to change one server configuration (tomcat),
and the apache configuration will follow.

mod_proxy probably works (I haven't tried it) and others are probably doing
it that way, but in my opinion it would make sense to use the tool that was
specifically developed to integrate with tomcat, and that means one of the
connectors such as mod_jk or mod_webapp.

Obviously, you are welcome to use whatever suits your environment and
situation.

John Turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]