I can see why the problem has vanished, but it's like saying that you never
get athlete's foot now that you've cut your legs off.  Instead it solves the
problem by cordoning off a whole area of functionality that's actually
vitally important to many people who have to integrate web applications into
a broader context.  It is NOT an acceptable recourse to have to install ALL
libraries into the Tomcat installation.  I mean, for example, if Apache
required you to install Tomcat into the Apache installation directory to
integrate Tomcat into Apache, you'd be understandably peeved.  That's
essentially the situation with Tomcat now.  It's fine for web applications
that basically stand-alone, but more and more that is NOT going to be the
context in which they operate.

Furthermore, I've noticed the existence of a whole other class of question
involving "Why can't my web application find my properties, jar, or class
file?"  You may get less of those questions than you did with classpath, but
it seems like a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

> By the way, symlinks are the right answer to your dilemma
> (from common/lib to wherever the legacy JAR files are.

Like I said, that's NOT a workable solution, since the majority of our
installations run on Windows platforms that don't support symlinks in the
manner that Unix does.

So I was correct in my original assumption, which is that this is mainly an
arbitrary design decision.  If so, then it's a VERY bad one that doesn't
really consider development outside of the Tomcat space or interlocking
development between web apps and non web apps.  It basically puts users in
the position of having to rewrite core Tomcat scripts for each different
application they create, which is both ugly AND non-extensible.  Consider,
for example, someone who has a Tomcat system already configured.  We have to
create a batch file that essentially overrides their existing configuration.
That can either break the installation or cause the customer to have to go
through a process of integrating our settings with their existing settings.

The best solution would be one in which the ability to create an extensible
class path was switchable and perhaps was off by default.  E.g.
CATALINA_USE_SYSTEM_SETTINGS (I like verbose env var names now that you
don't normally blow the environment space with them :^) would be set to
false by default.  If it was true, then it would use system settings for
CLASSPATH, etc.